May 28, 2009

Research Paper

In the uncertain future, to be successful you need more than one possible career path, for economic upheavals can lead to ruined lives. By having a multitude of possibilities at hand, success is almost guaranteed because a failure can be replaced by something else. I plan on a career in marine biology, which unto itself opens doors to a plethora of career choices, “careers [such as] environmental conservation, fisheries protection, water management, environmental consultancies,” deep-sea exploration and other entertainment based careers, like dolphin training. But I also have interest in careers involving microbiology and astronautics. Microbiology is a booming industry that can lead to creating drugs, brewing better beer and wine, genetic engineering, and research of microbiotic mysteries, such as “Tardigrades,” or the “Treponema primitia flagellar motor.” The third career I am interested in is becoming an astronaut, but preferably not NASA, who doesn’t have lucrative or important priorities other than launching more satellites. I would be a commercial astronaut, working in space for profit, it could be breeding plants and animals to survive in zero gravity, mining local asteroids for metals, or chaperoning tourists. Since this kind of career is just taking off,

Loftin 2

there are many opportunities for the commercial astronaut. Companies like Bigelow Aerospace offer high pay and medical, dental, vision, PTO, and a 401k for experienced persons in a multitude of academic fields, including microbiology. The beauty of choices like marine biology, microbiology and astronautics is that I can pursue all of them without sacrificing the other career choices.

Marine biology has held my interest since late Elementary School; I was fascinated, not with charming dolphins and smart whales, but the advanced camouflage abilities of cuttlefish, octopi, and other cephalopods. And by then I knew that scientists have only studied 2% of the ocean, and that 71% of the planet is covered with ocean, so there must be other, stranger organism in our oceans, and since viewing Planet Earth and reviewing more recent deep sea explorations, my earlier hypothesis was proven right from the discovery of hydrothermal vents and methane seepage that allows unique life to flourish. This career choice is brimming with competition, but 49% of all marine biologists work in fisheries, Commercial Aquariums, Sea Worlds, or in Wildlife Conservation, each of which has some interest to me, but not nearly as much as deep sea exploration and invertebrate zoology, each aspect to a diverse marine biologist. The average salary of a marine biologist is about $34,000 in the US, but in areas like Santa Cruz, the average is $45,000 and can be as much as $57,000, and this excluding research grants and private investments and donations from companies like NOAA. To be attractive on the job market, a PhD is incredibly helpful, especially if you want funding in private research from federal and private sources. Competition for grants is brutal, 1 in 4 federal grants are accepted, and with the economic downturn, even less is

Loftin 3

being given, increasing the completion. Becoming a marine biologist won’t only require me to understand aspects of oceanography, biology and ecology, but also the federal process for filing for grants so I won’t have to pay someone to do it for me. This unique career is wrought with possibilities, but I’m going to have to work to make sure to flourish without government aid. My dream as a marine biologist is to help study or discover life in our solar system, especially the Ice Moon of Jupiter, Europa.

Microbiology is the study of microscopic life, invisible to human eyes but important nonetheless. All ocean biospheres would collapse without plankton, and bacteria in plants roots couldn’t convert harmful Ammonium (NH4+) into Nitrates. I’m interested in these tiny beings because many can do things that even conventional technology. The study of microorganisms known as extremophiles interests me greatly, these organism thrive in environments that are almost unlivable for most beings, places with incredibly high or low pH, incredible pressure, poisonous substances, or places of extreme heat or cold. One such organism is the Tardigrades, small, incredibly unique organisms that can survive intense radiation, cold, heat, pressure, and can survive in the vacuum of space. Not only do microbiologists get to study and work with unique creatures, but they also have a hefty paycheck. The average microbiologist earns $73,000 annually, some earning as much as $113,000 annually. This career is growing with each passing year because we are learning so much and the market needs more individuals to study microorganisms and adapt them to be useful. Most people involved in high-level microbiotics (genetic engineering, pharmaceutical purposes) require an MSc, or for independent research a PhD in microbiotics. This career isn’t nearly as adventurous as

Loftin 4

becoming a marine biologist; this career is wrought with lab-work, paper-work, and mathematics, but the impact this career holds is massive. Who knows, I may bioengineer bacteria to convert poisonous gases to Oxygen and Nitrogen, allowing for the eventual terraforming of planets like Mars. Or I could study the possible alien microorganisms that could live in the deep ocean trenches of Europa, which could possible resemble the black smoker habitats of Earth.

Astronautics is a forgotten career, forgotten after the passing of the Cold War. But there are still many astronauts in the US, although the US space program NASA is slipping, soon Japanese and other Europeans will develop advance space programs, as well as privately owned Aerospace Companies, which are in constant demand for qualified individuals to assist in missions and pilot spacecrafts. Companies such as Bigelow Aerospace offer over $60,000 for people with over ten years experience researching or hands experience with, astrophysics, biochemistry, microbiology, nanotechnologies, physics, propulsion, stealth technologies, biopsychology (Biological Cognitive Interactions), or electromagnetic fields. With Bigelow, I could be a microbiologist and an astronaut. And with the multitude of other Commercial Astronautics, it’s safe to assume that some companies may even be interested in marine biology. To be a NASA astronaut, you have to meet some physical requirements, including a blood pressure below 140/90 while seated, 20/20 vision (eye surgery can be done, but to apply it has to be at least a year since the surgery, so in order to apply I’ll have to get eye surgery and lower my blood pressure. If I have a doctoral degree, I meet the 3 year experience requirement. I will also need to meet a

Loftin 5

multitude of mental exams, so I don’t end up like Lisa Nowak. I would like to do research at the International Space Station, such as how to grow microbes in zero-gravity, breeding animals and plants, and physics tests with marine animals moving in water. Can a fish swim in space?

With my research of marine biology, microbiology and astronautics, I learned that marine biology is much more competitive then I previously believed, which causes annual earning for marine biologist to drop. Supply and demand: if there are more marine biologists, employers can pay less money. After researching microbiology I have possibly found myself a double-major or at least a subject of interest during college. It’s an incredibly interesting career, that pays well, but I’m not sure if I want to be stuck in a lab for eight hours a day with a robot for company. My discoveries of becoming an astronaut have given me some hope, I originally was very doubtful of going into space, but now can see a solid path that has good pay, adventurous, and will play to my scientific needs. But I still wish to become a marine biologist, but I’m going to have to expect it to be more complicated than my original plan, and to diversify my college experience to be able to have a healthy and wealthy future.

No comments: